Most Active Stories
- Rally To Be Held At Arkansas Capitol Challenging Incarceration Policies
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Old State House To Screen "White Lightning" - 1973 Movie Shot In Arkansas
- Poll: Ross, Hutchinson In Virtual Dead Heat In Governor’s Race
Local & Regional News
Mon July 1, 2013
Saline County Sheriff Says He Made A 'Mistake'
The Saline County sheriff apologized to residents after being charged during the weekend on a complaint of public intoxication and refusal to submit to arrest.
Sheriff Bruce Pennington said Monday he had a couple of drinks on an empty stomach after working in his yard all day Saturday.
Police said they responded to a report of a "very intoxicated individual" who was getting into a vehicle outside a restaurant Saturday night, but Pennington said at a news conference he went to his car to send a text-message to a friend to seek a ride.
Benton police Lt. Kevin Russell had said during the weekend that Pennington was "belligerent."
The sheriff said he made a mistake and apologized. He is due in court Aug. 5.