Most Active Stories
- Governor-Elect Asa Hutchinson Sets Up Website For Transition
- State Supreme Court Deliberates On Same-Sex Marriage
- Election: Fayetteville's LGBT Anti-Discrimination Measure An Arkansas Rarity
- Effort To Curtail Use Of Antipsychotic Drugs In Nursing Homes
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
Local & Regional News
Mon July 1, 2013
Saline County Sheriff Says He Made A 'Mistake'
The Saline County sheriff apologized to residents after being charged during the weekend on a complaint of public intoxication and refusal to submit to arrest.
Sheriff Bruce Pennington said Monday he had a couple of drinks on an empty stomach after working in his yard all day Saturday.
Police said they responded to a report of a "very intoxicated individual" who was getting into a vehicle outside a restaurant Saturday night, but Pennington said at a news conference he went to his car to send a text-message to a friend to seek a ride.
Benton police Lt. Kevin Russell had said during the weekend that Pennington was "belligerent."
The sheriff said he made a mistake and apologized. He is due in court Aug. 5.