Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Mon February 17, 2014
Search For Missing Woman In SW Arkansas Is Suspended
The search for a missing Ashdown woman who either jumped or was knocked into the Red River during a multivehicle accident on Feb. 8 has been officially suspended.
Miller County Office of Emergency Services Director Larry Pritchett told the Texarkana Gazette that the search for 42-year-old Janice Northcross was suspended Saturday.
Arkansas State Police say Northcross was helping a stranded driver on an icy Interstate 30 bridge when she went over a railing and into the river to avoid a jackknifing 18-wheeler. A second person who also went into the river was quickly rescued.
Pritchett says Arkansas Game and Fish Commission game wardens will search on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays during the next two to three weeks and a helicopter may be used later if Northcross' body isn't found.