Most Active Stories
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- New Little Rock Police Chief Aims To Restore Trust In Law Enforcement
- Christie and Romney Visiting Arkansas: How Much Of It Is For Hutchinson?
- David Pryor Stumping For His Son In North Little Rock
Wed September 18, 2013
Several Deaths Reported After Train Hits Bus In Ottawa
Originally published on Wed September 18, 2013 11:23 am
A passenger train hit a passenger bus at a railroad crossing around 8:48 a.m ET Wednesday in Canada's capital city and there were fatalities.
As 11:32 a.m. ET, the CBC's Hanna Thibedeau updated to say that "city officials confirm 6 dead, 31 transported to hospitals, 11 in critical [condition]."
Toronto's CP24 says that the Toronto-bound "passenger train derailed but remained upright after hitting the OC Transpo double-decker bus at a level crossing. The front end of the bus was torn apart in the collision."
Update at 10:43 a.m. ET. Possible That Bus Drive Through Warning Gate:
The CBC reports that "Gregory Mech, a passenger on the bus, speaks to CBC News: 'From what I can tell the bus driver did not notice that these train tracks signal lights were on and the gates were down. People screamed on the bus shortly before the crash because he was not stopping.' "