Most Active Stories
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- New Little Rock Police Chief Aims To Restore Trust In Law Enforcement
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
- Christie and Romney Visiting Arkansas: How Much Of It Is For Hutchinson?
Notes On Music
Thu April 4, 2013
The Singing Telegram
In 1933, Western Union operator George Oslin was looking for a way to make the telegram something fun.
It was during the Depression and people didn’t have money to send regular telegrams, so he hit on the idea of something more affordable.
Soliciting aptly named 28-year old Lucille Lipps, he had her call singer Rudy Valley and deliver the first singing telegram.