Most Active Stories
- Rally To Be Held At Arkansas Capitol Challenging Incarceration Policies
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Poll: Ross, Hutchinson In Virtual Dead Heat In Governor’s Race
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Old State House To Screen "White Lightning" - 1973 Movie Shot In Arkansas
Notes On Music
Thu April 4, 2013
The Singing Telegram
In 1933, Western Union operator George Oslin was looking for a way to make the telegram something fun.
It was during the Depression and people didn’t have money to send regular telegrams, so he hit on the idea of something more affordable.
Soliciting aptly named 28-year old Lucille Lipps, he had her call singer Rudy Valley and deliver the first singing telegram.