Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Local & Regional News
Fri September 6, 2013
Special Prosecutor Sought For Arkansas Sheriff
An Arkansas prosecutor has asked a judge to appoint a special prosecutor to explore the possibility of removing the sheriff of Saline County following his guilty plea to a public drunkenness charge.
Prosecuting Attorney Ken Casady made the request in a letter Thursday to Judge Robert Herzfeld.
Casady says ethical concerns and his previous working relationship with Sheriff Bruce Pennington had forced him to step aside from any removal proceeding.
Pennington pleaded guilty last month to resisting arrest and public intoxication.
The charges followed his arrest in late June. Afterward, he sent out a one-sentence letter saying he would retire effective October 1st, but he later changed his mind and said he wanted to finish his term and run for re-election.
Many officials have called on Pennington to leave office.