Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Local & Regional News
Mon August 19, 2013
Special Prosecutor Sought To Review Lawmaker's Case
A prosecutor in northeast Arkansas is calling for a special prosecutor to review an ethics panel's findings about a Democratic state senator.
The Arkansas Ethics Commission on Friday fined Sen. Paul Bookout $8,000 and reprimanded him after finding out that he spent thousands of dollars in campaign funds on women's clothing, a home theater and other personal items last year.
Prosecutor Scott Ellington on Monday called for a special prosecutor to be appointed to review the commission's findings and determine whether there should be a criminal investigation.
Ellington says he and Bookout attend the same church. Bookout didn't immediately respond to a phone message left Monday.
He has said that he will reimburse his campaign $49,000 and repay contributors. Bookout is a former president of the state Senate.