Most Active Stories
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- New Little Rock Police Chief Aims To Restore Trust In Law Enforcement
- Christie and Romney Visiting Arkansas: How Much Of It Is For Hutchinson?
- David Pryor Stumping For His Son In North Little Rock
Notes On Music
Thu April 18, 2013
In appreciation of being awarded an honorary Doctorate from the University of Breslau in 1880, Brahms wrote the Academic Festival Overture, an appropriate “thank you” for such an honor.
Taking the melodies of fraternity songs, he wove together a familiar offering for the students, including portions of Gaudeamus igitur, the lyrics of which praise “all beautiful women.”