Most Active Stories
- Governor-Elect Asa Hutchinson Sets Up Website For Transition
- State Supreme Court Deliberates On Same-Sex Marriage
- Election: Fayetteville's LGBT Anti-Discrimination Measure An Arkansas Rarity
- Effort To Curtail Use Of Antipsychotic Drugs In Nursing Homes
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
UAMS Area Health Education Centers
Tue April 2, 2013
UAMS Renames Local Health Centers Across Arkansas
The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences has renamed its eight Area Health Education Centers across the state. The centers known as AHECs provide health education programs and some also have primary care clinics.
The renaming is intended to better identify them as part of UAMS. The centers will be known by region: UAMS Northwest in Fayetteville/Springdale, UAMS West in Fort Smith, UAMS North Central in Batesville/Mountain Home, UAMS Northeast in Jonesboro, UAMS South Central in Pine Bluff, UAMS East in Helena-West Helena, UAMS Southwest in Texarkana, and UAMS South in El Dorado/Magnolia.
UAMS is the state's only comprehensive academic health center with colleges of Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Health Professions and Public Health. There is also a graduate school; a hospital; a statewide network of regional centers; and seven institutes.