Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Fri May 3, 2013
Unemployment Rate Down To 7.5 Percent
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
NPR's business news begins with some good economic news.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average hit 15,000 for the first time ever this morning. The S&P 500 also hit a record high. All of this came just after the release of a positive jobs report. The Labor Department says 165,000 jobs were created in April. Economist have been expecting about 150,000 new jobs last month.
It also turns out job creation in February and March was much stronger than originally reported. Meanwhile, the unemployment rate ticked down to 7.5 percent. That is the lowest it's been since December of 2008. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.