Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Wed May 22, 2013
West Memphis Gets $11M Grant For Port
West Memphis is to receive a $10.9 million grant to expand the city's port.
The grant from the U.S. Transportation Department announced Wednesday will go toward rail improvements. The work will enable the port to handle more freight.
The Transportation Department says the project will not only help the port but will spur other business activity by stimulating more trade.
The expansion is also expected to attract development in West Memphis, which will create more jobs. The expansion will dramatically expand the port's railcar capacity.
Officials say that in 2012, the port handled only 800 railcars. When the project is complete, the port at West Memphis will be able to handle almost twice that number each week.