Most Active Stories
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- New Little Rock Police Chief Aims To Restore Trust In Law Enforcement
- Christie and Romney Visiting Arkansas: How Much Of It Is For Hutchinson?
- David Pryor Stumping For His Son In North Little Rock
Notes on Music
Wed February 27, 2013
What Does Philharmonic Mean?
We’ve all heard the word “philharmonic” used in connection with orchestras, such as the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. But do you know what it actually means?
“Philharmonic” is from the Greek philos, meaning “loving”, and ta harmonika, meaning “theory of harmony.” Literally, it means “loving harmony” or “devoted to music.” Makes sense it’s used so often.