Most Active Stories
- Rally To Be Held At Arkansas Capitol Challenging Incarceration Policies
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Court Ruling In Flash Floods That Killed 20 At SW Arkansas Campground
- Historic Building In Downtown Little Rock To Become Hotel
Notes on Music
Wed February 27, 2013
What Does Philharmonic Mean?
We’ve all heard the word “philharmonic” used in connection with orchestras, such as the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. But do you know what it actually means?
“Philharmonic” is from the Greek philos, meaning “loving”, and ta harmonika, meaning “theory of harmony.” Literally, it means “loving harmony” or “devoted to music.” Makes sense it’s used so often.