Most Active Stories
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Old State House To Screen "A Face in the Crowd" - 1957 Movie Shot in Piggott, Ark.
- Broker Details $2 Million In Commissions In Martha Shoffner Trial
- Defense To Begin Presenting Its Side In Martha Shoffner Trial
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Notes on Music
Wed February 27, 2013
What Does Philharmonic Mean?
We’ve all heard the word “philharmonic” used in connection with orchestras, such as the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. But do you know what it actually means?
“Philharmonic” is from the Greek philos, meaning “loving”, and ta harmonika, meaning “theory of harmony.” Literally, it means “loving harmony” or “devoted to music.” Makes sense it’s used so often.