Most Active Stories
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- Wal-Mart CEO Of Domestic Operations To Resign Next Month
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
- UPDATE: LR Air Force Base Reopens After Scare Prompts Lockdown
Notes on Music
Wed February 27, 2013
What Does Philharmonic Mean?
We’ve all heard the word “philharmonic” used in connection with orchestras, such as the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. But do you know what it actually means?
“Philharmonic” is from the Greek philos, meaning “loving”, and ta harmonika, meaning “theory of harmony.” Literally, it means “loving harmony” or “devoted to music.” Makes sense it’s used so often.