Most Active Stories
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Director Of UAMS Myeloma Institute Stepping Down
- Clinton School Building Becomes Oldest In Arkansas To Receive Certification
- Historic Building In Downtown Little Rock To Become Hotel
Notes on Music
Wed February 27, 2013
What Does Philharmonic Mean?
We’ve all heard the word “philharmonic” used in connection with orchestras, such as the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. But do you know what it actually means?
“Philharmonic” is from the Greek philos, meaning “loving”, and ta harmonika, meaning “theory of harmony.” Literally, it means “loving harmony” or “devoted to music.” Makes sense it’s used so often.