Most Active Stories
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- Former KLRE Manager Madison Hodges Dies
- Wal-Mart CEO Of Domestic Operations To Resign Next Month
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
- UPDATE: LR Air Force Base Reopens After Scare Prompts Lockdown
Prescription Drug Abuse Forum
Wed July 17, 2013
White House Drug Policy Adviser Plans Arkansas Talk
The nation's drug policy adviser to the White House is to address an Arkansas forum on prescription drug abuse.
Drug czar R. Gil Kerlikowske is to speak Thursday at the summit in Little Rock.
During the spring, Kerlikowske announced a change in focus to the nation's way of addressing persistent drug addiction problems.
Instead of continuing to focus on solutions through law enforcement, Kerlikowske's office is seeking a $1.4 billion increase in its 2014 budget for treating addicts. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention considers prescription drug abuse to be an epidemic.
The drug czar's office wants to emphasize addiction as a brain disease and treat it accordingly.
Kerlikowske is also slated for a Wednesday evening talk at the Clinton School of Public Service.