Most Active Stories
- Documentary On Glen Campbell To Get Advance Screening In LR
- Watch Now: Candidates For Statewide Office Appear in Hot Springs
- All Four Gubernatorial Candidates Debate in Hot Springs
- No One Hurt After Shots Fired In Little Rock River Market
- Beebe and Local Officials Point to Progress of Tornado Recovery, Need For Federal Aid
Mon January 20, 2014
World's Richest 85 Hold Same Wealth As Poorest 3.5 Billion
Originally published on Tue January 21, 2014 8:17 am
The report found “The bottom half of the world’s population owns the same as the richest 85 people in the world,” and concludes “This massive concentration of economic resources in the hands of fewer people presents a significant threat to inclusive political and economic systems.”
Roben Farzad of Bloomberg Businessweek joins Here & Now’s Meghna Chakrabarti to discuss the new report.
Correction: In our interview, it was stated that the Oxfam report found that the world’s richest 85 people own $110 trillion. That’s not correct. The wealth of the one percent richest people in the world amounts to $110 trillion. We regret the error.