Most Active Stories
- Parkour May Run, Flip, Dive And Slide Its Way Into Olympics
- Your Favorite Sites Will 'Slow Down' Today, For A Cause
- Zone 5 Candidates For Little Rock School Board On The Issues
- Library Director, Arts Community Advocate Jeff Baskin Dies
- Junior League Of Little Rock Offers New Office Space To Nonprofits
Local & Regional News
Wed April 23, 2014
Aquarium Included In Little Rock Zoo's Master Plan
Little Rock leaders are considering a new master plan that would add an aquarium to the city's zoo.
The plan announced Tuesday calls for the Little Rock Zoo to remain within its current 36.8 acres but adds new exhibits on undeveloped land.
Under the plan, the zoo's current tropical birdhouse would be transformed into an aquarium that would double as a rental venue and auditorium. The building would have two large wall tanks - one saltwater and one freshwater.
The plan also calls for new exhibits, primarily with a water theme.
According to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, the total cost to implement the plan is between $40 million and $50 million.
The Little Rock Board of Directors didn't take any action Tuesday but most shared their support of the proposal.