Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Local & Regional News
Thu October 3, 2013
Arkansas 188th Fighter Wing Delays Anniversary Celebration
The 60th anniversary celebration of the Arkansas Air National Guard's 188th Fighter Wing has been delayed because of the federal government shutdown.
The celebration for current and former 188th members was set for Saturday, but officials decided to postpone the event until Nov. 2 because of the shutdown.
Maj. Heath Allen tells the Southwest Times Record that it wasn't feasible to hold the event because of furloughs caused by the shutdown.
Also, the Arkansas National Guard postponed weekend drills scheduled in October, which affects nearly 10,000 Guard members. The 188th Fighter Wing began in 1953 as the 184th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron.