Most Active Stories
- Governor-Elect Asa Hutchinson Sets Up Website For Transition
- State Supreme Court Deliberates On Same-Sex Marriage
- Election: Fayetteville's LGBT Anti-Discrimination Measure An Arkansas Rarity
- Effort To Curtail Use Of Antipsychotic Drugs In Nursing Homes
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
Local & Regional News
Thu October 3, 2013
Arkansas 188th Fighter Wing Delays Anniversary Celebration
The 60th anniversary celebration of the Arkansas Air National Guard's 188th Fighter Wing has been delayed because of the federal government shutdown.
The celebration for current and former 188th members was set for Saturday, but officials decided to postpone the event until Nov. 2 because of the shutdown.
Maj. Heath Allen tells the Southwest Times Record that it wasn't feasible to hold the event because of furloughs caused by the shutdown.
Also, the Arkansas National Guard postponed weekend drills scheduled in October, which affects nearly 10,000 Guard members. The 188th Fighter Wing began in 1953 as the 184th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron.