Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Local & Regional News
Fri April 12, 2013
Arkansas Emerging From Bad Flu Season
Arkansas' current flu season has been among its worst in the last three decades, with 54 deaths and nearly 1,400 people requiring hospital stays.
The state Department of Health says that, except for 2009, Arkansas has to go back to 1981 to see a higher death toll.
The four deaths among children this year is the highest since pediatric deaths were first monitored in 1980.
Overall, doctors reported 21,495 positive tests for various types of influenza since Oct. 1.
Most cases appeared treatable with flu medications.
The Health Department said there were likely additional cases of flu in the state, but that some cases are unreported and others aren't bad enough for someone to seek medical care.