Most Active Stories
- Governor-Elect Asa Hutchinson Sets Up Website For Transition
- State Supreme Court Deliberates On Same-Sex Marriage
- Election: Fayetteville's LGBT Anti-Discrimination Measure An Arkansas Rarity
- Effort To Curtail Use Of Antipsychotic Drugs In Nursing Homes
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
Mon December 16, 2013
Arkansas Health Department: Raw Milk Poses Serious Risk to Pregnant Women, Children
The Arkansas Department of Health is endorsing the American Academy of Pediatrics' raw milk policy statement.
It's recommending all Arkansans – especially pregnant women, infants and children – avoid consuming raw milk and raw milk products.
Raw milk can transmit bacterial infections. Dr. Gary Wheeler with the Arkansas Department of Health says the risk of dairy-related outbreaks caused by raw milk is at least 150 times greater than that of pasteurized milk.