Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Local & Regional News
Fri January 24, 2014
Arkansas Health Official: Deaths From Flu Could Top 50
An Arkansas health official says he believes the state has hit the peak of this year's flu season, but wouldn't be surprised if the number of deaths in the state exceeds 50.
State Epidemiologist Dr. Dirk Haselow told a legislative panel Friday that officials have confirmed 25 people in Arkansas have died from the flu this year, and are investigating several more to determine the cause.
Haselow said the age of those killed by the flu in Arkansas has ranged from two months to 77 years.
Haselow said he believes the state has hit the peak of the flu season, but said there's still time for Arkansans to get their shots if they haven't yet.
Haselow said officials don't believe any of the 25 who have died received the shot.