Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Broker Details $2 Million In Commissions In Martha Shoffner Trial
Wed April 24, 2013
Arkansas House Speaker Eyeing 2014 Governor's Race
House Speaker Davy Carter says he's considering running for governor next year, but wants some time after the session to decide whether to join the race.
The Republican from Cabot told reporters Tuesday he's thought about and discussed a run for governor, but said he wanted to spend time at home to think about the race.
Carter later said he didn't have a timeline for making a decision and declined to say with whom he's been discussing a run. Lawmakers on Tuesday wrapped up this year's legislative session.
Former Congressman Asa Hutchinson and Little Rock businessman Curtis Coleman are seeking the GOP gubernatorial nomination. Former Lt. Gov. Bill Halter and former Congressman Mike Ross are seeking the Democratic nomination. Democratic Gov. Mike Beebe is term-limited and can't run for re-election.