Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Local & Regional News
Tue March 5, 2013
Arkansas Lawmakers Approve Contract On Medicaid
Arkansas lawmakers have approved a $220,000 contract with a consultant to review Medicaid and other public assistance programs, despite objections from Democrats over the way the agreement was handled.
The Joint Budget Committee on Tuesday approved a four-month contract with the Alexander Group, LLC to review Medicaid, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and child care assistance. It was approved on a 30-6 vote.
The firm is headed by Gary D. Alexander, who ran the Medicaid program in Rhode Island.
The contract's approval comes as lawmakers consider an alternate to Medicaid expansion that would allow the state to use federal funds to purchase private insurance for the newly eligible.
Democrats on the panel said they were concerned the contract was approved without issuing a request for proposals.