Most Active Stories
- Governor-Elect Asa Hutchinson Sets Up Website For Transition
- State Supreme Court Deliberates On Same-Sex Marriage
- Election: Fayetteville's LGBT Anti-Discrimination Measure An Arkansas Rarity
- Effort To Curtail Use Of Antipsychotic Drugs In Nursing Homes
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
Support For Storm Victims
Fri April 12, 2013
Arkansas Red Cross Assists Storm Recovery Efforts
As communities try to recover from Wednesday’s severe storms, lightning strikes, and high winds; the Arkansas Red Cross is providing extra support for residents.
Brigette Williams with the Red Cross says they already have disaster response teams in Van Buren, Lincoln, and Izzard Counties.
“Our teams go through affected areas street by street to see if people need any food or snacks. We also provide water, because people need to stay hydrated,” said Williams. “People are running on adrenaline, they’ve been through a very traumatic experience, and we want to check on their wellbeing. We also have mental health professionals, who are Red Cross volunteers, making visits and checking to see how residents are doing.”
Gov. Mike Beebe declared 15 counties as disaster areas following strong storms. Williams says residents hard-hit by the severe weather can call 1-800- RED CROSS to get additional support. Click here to donate to the storm victims.