Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Local & Regional News
Mon September 16, 2013
Arkansas Red Cross Deploys Support Team To Flood-Ravaged Colorado
Hundreds of people are still unaccounted for in Colorado, due to historic flooding there.
As rescue operations continue to save the lives of flood victims, Arkansas Red Cross officials have been deployed to that state to aid residents.
Brigette Williams with the Red Cross says disaster responders from Arkansas will be in Colorado for several weeks to help people cope with the trauma.
“Arkansas was put on alert last Friday and over the weekend the primary request was for mental health workers,” Williams said. “We sent five mental health workers to Colorado and we have other specialties on standby to go as needed.”
Williams says the mental health workers will counsel residents and help them get back on their feet emotionally so they can recover from the natural disaster that has so far damaged or destroyed 19,000 homes.
Some of the disaster responders from Arkansas are volunteers and could be in Colorado for two weeks to a month depending on their duties.