Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Police Investigate GOP Threats
Tue April 23, 2013
Arkansas Republican Lawmakers Face Security Concerns
Arkansas State Police say they have investigated threats against state legislators but found no reason to believe their safety was in jeopardy. House Speaker Davy Carter was one of the legislators threatened when he was targeted in a tweet.
Carter said Monday that he never felt he was in physical danger but said the threat made him angry. Also Monday, the editor of the Benton County Republican Committee newsletter apologized for approving an article by her husband that discussed shooting legislators.
Leigh Nogy says she understood the article by Chris Nogy as using dramatic language to make a point, not as a true threat. The article criticized Republican legislators for not being conservative enough. Carter, a Cabot Republican, said threats of violence don't belong in the dialogue of either party.