Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Broker Details $2 Million In Commissions In Martha Shoffner Trial
Freedom of Information
Tue March 12, 2013
Arkansas Senate OKs FOI Exemption For Accident Reports
The Arkansas Senate has unanimously approved keeping the names of children involved in motor vehicle accidents from being released to the public.
The Senate voted 35-0 Tuesday to exempt the identities of minors listed in motor vehicle accident reports from being released under the state Freedom of Information Act. The proposal now heads to the House for a vote.
Republican Sen. Eddie Joe Williams of Cabot said he proposed the exemption after hearing complaints from parents of children who were in a school bus accident last year. Williams says the families were contacted by chiropractors who found their children's names in police reports.
The proposal faces opposition from press groups who say it weakens the state's law on open records.