Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Local & Regional News
Tue June 11, 2013
Arkansas Senators Praise Farm Bill Passage
Arkansas' U.S. Senate delegation is praising the passage of a farm bill. The bill passed the Senate on Monday on a 66-27 vote.
The five-year, half-trillion bill includes greater subsidies for rice farmers and more aid for purchasing crop insurance.
Democratic Sen. Mark Pryor said the bill offers protections to farmers in the South and retains a catfish inspection program.
Republican Sen. John Boozman says the five-year span of the bill will enable agribusinesses to make long-term planting and hiring decisions. The House is to take up its version of the bill later this month.
The Senate version includes small cuts to the food stamp program but that issue is expected to be more contentious in the House.