Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Director Of UAMS Myeloma Institute Stepping Down
- Clinton School Building Becomes Oldest In Arkansas To Receive Certification
- Historic Building In Downtown Little Rock To Become Hotel
Thu May 16, 2013
Arkansas Takes Over Mineral Springs School District
Arkansas has taken over the financially struggling Mineral Springs School District, dissolving the southwest Arkansas district's school board.
Arkansas Education Commissioner Tom Kimbrell on Thursday announced the state had taken over the district, which had been classified as fiscally distressed in December. The state Education Department says the district faces a severe budget deficit and doesn't have sufficient cash flow to finish the fiscal year.
Acting district Superintendent Bill Blackwood will stay on board until Kimbrell appoints a new superintendent.
The Education Department says steps have been taken to secure school records and to ensure district operations will continue uninterrupted.