Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Thu May 16, 2013
Arkansas Takes Over Mineral Springs School District
Arkansas has taken over the financially struggling Mineral Springs School District, dissolving the southwest Arkansas district's school board.
Arkansas Education Commissioner Tom Kimbrell on Thursday announced the state had taken over the district, which had been classified as fiscally distressed in December. The state Education Department says the district faces a severe budget deficit and doesn't have sufficient cash flow to finish the fiscal year.
Acting district Superintendent Bill Blackwood will stay on board until Kimbrell appoints a new superintendent.
The Education Department says steps have been taken to secure school records and to ensure district operations will continue uninterrupted.