Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Local & Regional News
Tue December 31, 2013
Arkansas's Private Option Plan Ranked As Top Story Of 2013
Arkansas' unusual approach to expand health insurance for low-income residents by using Medicaid money for private coverage is the top story of 2013, as voted on by Associated Press members.
Coming in second is the Mayflower oil spill, while the quest to end Arkansas' desegregation payments is third.
The already-heated Senate race between U.S. Sen. Mark Pryor and U.S. Rep. Tom Cotton is fourth, and Clarksville's plan to arm some schoolteachers came in fifth.
The arrest and resignation of Treasurer Martha Shoffner was voted sixth, and the Legislature's passage of strict abortion restrictions came in seventh.
The flash flooding that killed the Scott County sheriff and three others is eighth, while the Arkansas governor's race came in ninth. The planned $1 billion steel mill in Osceola rounded out the list.