Most Active Stories
- Governor-Elect Asa Hutchinson Sets Up Website For Transition
- State Supreme Court Deliberates On Same-Sex Marriage
- Election: Fayetteville's LGBT Anti-Discrimination Measure An Arkansas Rarity
- Effort To Curtail Use Of Antipsychotic Drugs In Nursing Homes
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
Local & Regional News
Thu February 13, 2014
Aspiration Cause Of Death For LR Zoo's Giraffe
Preliminary necropsy results show that a giraffe that died at the Little Rock Zoo last year aspirated to death after it was attacked by another giraffe.
Zoo officials say 13-year-old Jigsaw died from aspiration pneumonia - or an inflammation of the lungs caused by inhaling and then choking on fluids or food.
Jigsaw died Dec. 29 after getting into a fight with another giraffe, an 8-year-old named Mesi. The zoo says Mesi broke through a large metal dividing gate and sparred with Jigsaw until the older giraffe fell.
Zoo spokeswoman Susan Altrui tells the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that Jigsaw's death was a direct result of the altercation with Mesi. Altrui says Jigsaw fell to the ground and could not get up, causing the aspiration.