Most Active Stories
- Rally To Be Held At Arkansas Capitol Challenging Incarceration Policies
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Old State House To Screen "White Lightning" - 1973 Movie Shot In Arkansas
- Poll: Ross, Hutchinson In Virtual Dead Heat In Governor’s Race
Local & Regional News
Thu February 13, 2014
Aspiration Cause Of Death For LR Zoo's Giraffe
Preliminary necropsy results show that a giraffe that died at the Little Rock Zoo last year aspirated to death after it was attacked by another giraffe.
Zoo officials say 13-year-old Jigsaw died from aspiration pneumonia - or an inflammation of the lungs caused by inhaling and then choking on fluids or food.
Jigsaw died Dec. 29 after getting into a fight with another giraffe, an 8-year-old named Mesi. The zoo says Mesi broke through a large metal dividing gate and sparred with Jigsaw until the older giraffe fell.
Zoo spokeswoman Susan Altrui tells the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that Jigsaw's death was a direct result of the altercation with Mesi. Altrui says Jigsaw fell to the ground and could not get up, causing the aspiration.