Most Active Stories
- Governor-Elect Asa Hutchinson Sets Up Website For Transition
- State Supreme Court Deliberates On Same-Sex Marriage
- Election: Fayetteville's LGBT Anti-Discrimination Measure An Arkansas Rarity
- Effort To Curtail Use Of Antipsychotic Drugs In Nursing Homes
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
Local & Regional News
Wed January 8, 2014
Attorney: Paul Bookout Contributors Getting Cash Back
An attorney for former state Sen. Paul Bookout says the former lawmaker has begun refunding campaign contributions made by individuals to his 2012 re-election bid.
Bookout's attorney, Bill Stanley, says checks began going out late last month to campaign contributors. Bookout, a Democrat and former state Senate president, resigned Aug. 20.
The Arkansas Ethics Commission ruled that Bookout spent more than $53,000 from his re-election bid on clothing, home theater equipment and dozens of other personal items. He was fined $8,000 and reprimanded by the panel.
His attorney told The Jonesboro Sun that most of the individual contributions Bookout received in 2012 have been returned.
Stanley says Bookout is still in the process of refunding contributions to political action committees.