Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Local & Regional News
Tue September 10, 2013
Audit: Poor Management In University of Arkansas Division
Legislative auditors say poor management and a failure to follow school policies led to a $3 million deficit within a division at the University of Arkansas.
The school requested an audit after administrators discovered the Advancement Division had overspent its $10 million budget in 2012.
Audit results released Tuesday said a primary reason for the deficit was the addition of staff members without a corresponding increase in permanent funding.
The Arkansas Division of Legislative Audit said the arm of the university that handles public relations, alumni and fundraising saw expenditures grow from $7.9 million to $13.2 million from 2008 to 2012. The division's budget held steady around $9.96 million.
The school agreed with many portions of the review but disagreed with a claim that it withheld some information from auditors.