The oldest public building in Arkansas will soon have a new owner.
The Baxter County Quorum Court voted this week to transfer ownership of the Jacob Wolf House in Norfork to the Department of Arkansas Heritage. The Wolf House, which was built as a courthouse in 1829, overlooks the intersection of the White and North Fork rivers.
The wooden structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
According to The Baxter Bulletin, the Wolf House Memorial Foundation gave the property to Baxter County in 1999. The agreement reached this week will give the county the opportunity to reclaim possession of the Wolf House should the Department of Arkansas Heritage relinquish control of the property.