Most Active Stories
- Rally To Be Held At Arkansas Capitol Challenging Incarceration Policies
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Old State House To Screen "White Lightning" - 1973 Movie Shot In Arkansas
- Court Ruling In Flash Floods That Killed 20 At SW Arkansas Campground
Thu September 5, 2013
Book Looks At Notable Arkansas Musicians And Events
A new book now on sale looks at the history of music in Arkansas.
Encyclopedia of Arkansas Music was put together by the same folks responsible for the online Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture.
It features profiles of well known Arkansas natives like Johnny Cash, Al Green, Levon Helm and Glen Campbell, as well as lessor known, but significant musicians like southern gothic artist Tav Falco and the sombrero-wearing couple Elton and Betty White, who were known for their graphic sexual lyrics.
The book also looks at musical genres, as well as events like a stopover by the Beatles at a small airport in Walnut Ridge in 1964 and the arrest of several members of the Rolling Stones in Fordyce in 1975.
KUAR’s Michael Hibblen spoke with the book’s editors Ali Welky and Mike Keckhaver. You can listen to the interview above.
Local & Regional News