Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Local & Regional News
Wed May 22, 2013
Former Arkansas Youth Coach To Be Sentenced For Sex Charge
Federal prosecutors are seeking the maximum sentence for a former Texarkana-area youth baseball coach who pleaded guilty to molesting young players.
Prosecutors are limited in the sentence they can pursue for 60-year-old Walter Richard Roberts of Texarkana, Arkansas because he pleaded guilty to alleged offenses that occurred in 1992.
The Texarkana Gazette reports that the maximum sentence for Roberts would be 10 years. The law has since been updated and people convicted of bringing children across state lines for sex are now subject to a federal sentence of 10 years to life.
Court papers say Roberts is accused of molesting three victims who were younger than 12. The filing says Roberts admitted to molesting a fourth victim, but that person can't remember the abuse. The sentencing proceeding is set for Wednesday.