Most Active Stories
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Wal-Mart CEO Of Domestic Operations To Resign Next Month
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
- UPDATE: LR Air Force Base Reopens After Scare Prompts Lockdown
Local & Regional News
Tue April 30, 2013
Former De Queen Parks Director Charged With Theft
Prosecutors have filed two additional theft charges against a former parks director in De Queen accused of stealing money from a regional softball program.
Karen Atkins already faced felony theft charges after prosecutors accused her last year of taking money that was intended for the American Red Cross.
Prosecutors say Atkins taught CPR and lifeguard classes and did not pay the required fees to the American Red Cross.
Prosecutor Bryan Chesshir announced the new charges Monday.
He says Atkins allegedly misappropriated nearly $8,000 from the city's sports programs.
Atkins' attorney, Mickey Buchanan, says the new charges emerged after a state audit was released April 5.
Buchanan tells the Texarkana Gazette that a pretrial hearing on the charges will be Aug. 1 with a trial date set for Aug. 21.