Most Active Stories
- Governor-Elect Asa Hutchinson Sets Up Website For Transition
- State Supreme Court Deliberates On Same-Sex Marriage
- Election: Fayetteville's LGBT Anti-Discrimination Measure An Arkansas Rarity
- Effort To Curtail Use Of Antipsychotic Drugs In Nursing Homes
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
Local & Regional News
Tue April 30, 2013
Former De Queen Parks Director Charged With Theft
Prosecutors have filed two additional theft charges against a former parks director in De Queen accused of stealing money from a regional softball program.
Karen Atkins already faced felony theft charges after prosecutors accused her last year of taking money that was intended for the American Red Cross.
Prosecutors say Atkins taught CPR and lifeguard classes and did not pay the required fees to the American Red Cross.
Prosecutor Bryan Chesshir announced the new charges Monday.
He says Atkins allegedly misappropriated nearly $8,000 from the city's sports programs.
Atkins' attorney, Mickey Buchanan, says the new charges emerged after a state audit was released April 5.
Buchanan tells the Texarkana Gazette that a pretrial hearing on the charges will be Aug. 1 with a trial date set for Aug. 21.