Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Broker Details $2 Million In Commissions In Martha Shoffner Trial
Local & Regional News
Thu June 6, 2013
Ginger Beebe Helps Kick Off Summer Meals Program
Arkansas first lady Ginger Beebe says more attention is needed on programs that provide free meals to children in Arkansas who might otherwise go hungry.
Beebe made the comment Thursday at the Dream Center in Little Rock as she helped kick off a summer meals program for children.
The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports that Beebe called for getting word out so that families will know there is a place where their children will be fed.
The U.S. Agriculture Department offers free summer meals to children 18 and under.
A study shows that only about 14 percent of children who receive free or reduced-price lunches during the school year go to the summer meal centers.
The state Department of Human Services and other agencies are organizing the feeding program in Arkansas.