Most Active Stories
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- UPDATE: LR Air Force Base Reopens After Scare Prompts Lockdown
- New Little Rock Police Chief Aims To Restore Trust In Law Enforcement
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
Local & Regional News
Thu June 6, 2013
Ginger Beebe Helps Kick Off Summer Meals Program
Arkansas first lady Ginger Beebe says more attention is needed on programs that provide free meals to children in Arkansas who might otherwise go hungry.
Beebe made the comment Thursday at the Dream Center in Little Rock as she helped kick off a summer meals program for children.
The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports that Beebe called for getting word out so that families will know there is a place where their children will be fed.
The U.S. Agriculture Department offers free summer meals to children 18 and under.
A study shows that only about 14 percent of children who receive free or reduced-price lunches during the school year go to the summer meal centers.
The state Department of Human Services and other agencies are organizing the feeding program in Arkansas.