Most Active Stories
- Rally To Be Held At Arkansas Capitol Challenging Incarceration Policies
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Poll: Ross, Hutchinson In Virtual Dead Heat In Governor’s Race
- Arkansas Herpetologist, University of Tulsa Researcher Find New Species
- Old State House To Screen "White Lightning" - 1973 Movie Shot In Arkansas
Local & Regional News
Thu June 6, 2013
Ginger Beebe Helps Kick Off Summer Meals Program
Arkansas first lady Ginger Beebe says more attention is needed on programs that provide free meals to children in Arkansas who might otherwise go hungry.
Beebe made the comment Thursday at the Dream Center in Little Rock as she helped kick off a summer meals program for children.
The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports that Beebe called for getting word out so that families will know there is a place where their children will be fed.
The U.S. Agriculture Department offers free summer meals to children 18 and under.
A study shows that only about 14 percent of children who receive free or reduced-price lunches during the school year go to the summer meal centers.
The state Department of Human Services and other agencies are organizing the feeding program in Arkansas.