Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Local & Regional News
Thu April 18, 2013
Governor Beebe To Sign Medicaid Bill Monday
A spokesman says Gov. Mike Beebe will sign legislation next week that authorizes Arkansas to accept federal Medicaid funds and use them to buy private insurance for low-income residents.
Beebe will sign the bills at a ceremony next Monday at 9:30 a.m. The Legislature gave final approval to the plan Wednesday night.
Even after Arkansas adopts the "private option" Medicaid plan, it won't be implemented until federal officials sign off on the proposal. U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius has endorsed the concept but hasn't given permission for Arkansas' specific plan.
Republican legislative leaders and Beebe, a Democrat, promoted the Medicaid "private option" as an alternative to expanding the state's Medicaid enrollment under the federal health care law.