Most Active Stories
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- Human Rights Campaign Releases First Large-Scale Survey of LGBT Arkansans
- Former KLRE Manager Madison Hodges Dies
- Wal-Mart CEO Of Domestic Operations To Resign Next Month
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
Local & Regional News
Mon September 2, 2013
Governor Proclaims September Arkansas Volunteer Month
Gov. Mike Beebe has declared September "Arkansas Volunteer Month" to honor the thousands of volunteers who work to make the state a better place to live.
Sherry Middleton, director of the Arkansas Department of Human Services' Division of Community Service and Nonprofit Support, says Arkansas volunteers provide services and problem-solving skills to people and communities throughout the state.
Middleton says it's the spirit of helping one another that officials hope to promote, and it is those who have demonstrated that spirit who will be recognized during the month.
A study conducted by the agency found that last year, 846 volunteer organizations in Arkansas reported volunteers serving more than 22 million hours. The estimated value of those hours totaled $624 million.