Have A Beatles Story? Are Ya Southern? Tales From The South Wants To Know
Arkansas-based public radio program Tales From the South wants your Beatles related stories for a special Beatles themed show.
The show is in conjunction with the Argenta Arts District's archival photography exhibit "The British Invasion: 50 Years Later."
The deadline to submit your story to Tales From the South is 10 p.m., Sun. April 6. The Beatles-themed show will be taped Tue., April 15.
Here's more on the Beatles show and its submission guidelines from the press release, you can also find more information at talesfromthesouth.com:
**Submission deadline is 10 p.m. Sunday, April 06, 2014.**
· Writers must currently live in the South (defined as the “Confederate South”: Texas, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida) or be from the South originally.
· Stories must be true and told in the first person, recounting things that happened to you, not someone else and must be literary memoirs: not editorials, poems, top-ten lists, essays, or general statements of personal belief. There must be a clear narrative structure (not just chronologies: something must happen). We're looking for rising action building to a climax/epiphany. Literary memoir, not personal essay, is what we are looking for. See below for contest topic information. We also highly suggest you listen to past shows: www.talesfromthesouth.com
· If accepted, writers must read their own stories and be available to record in front of a live audience at Starving Artist Café in the Argenta Arts District of North Little Rock, Arkansas, on Tuesday, April 15, 2014. Lodging provided for writers outside of the Central Arkansas area.
· Stories must be between 1000-1200 words.
TOPIC: The topic for this contest is your literary memoir based on this prompt:
THE BEATLES. Did you get to see The Beatles live or (gasp) meet them? Or did you see the first broadcast of Beatlemania (aired by the CBS Morning News and then again by the CBS Evening News), their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, or how about hearing “I Wanna Hold Your Hand” for the first time on the radio in 1964? Or, is your story about one of the band members, seeing/meeting them, an experience that involved them?
Were you a young child, an adolescent, a teenager, an adult? Was it a positive or negative experience? What was the exact experience that shows us this moment? Write it out in scenes (not summary), using sensory details to put the listeners there with you. Story structure required: rising action building to a climax/epiphany. Stay away from commentary and just let the story show us this moment. Your true story in short story form.
· Literary devices and techniques highly encouraged. Material should be G- or PG-rated. No profanity, explicit sexual content, or scatological references. Material that is overtly critical of a particular race, ethnicity, religion, gender, or sexual orientation will not be accepted. The FCC is very strict, and you should take this into consideration when submitting.
· Tales from the South will acquire the rights for broadcast and simultaneous live audio streaming over the facilities of KUAR and multiple other Public Radio stations nationwide. Archived shows are broadcast on ITunes, the NPR website, the KUAR website, Stitcher Smart Radio, and rebroadcasted on World Radio Network (both satellite and internet radio). We are distributed by Public Radio Exchange, and the Release Form will reflect any changes. You (the writer) retain all publication rights, both hardcopy and electronic.
· Stories will be eligible to be included in yearly collections published by Temenos Publishing, as long as the author owns all copyrights. Anthology stories will be chosen by the Editor and a panel as the "year's best." Authors may choose to not be included in the anthology.
· Winners will be notified via email and will be given editorial suggestions to adhere to the format of the show.
1) In the subject line, put BEATLES and the name of your story, the word count, and your name: EX: BEATLES "Meeting Lennon" 1000 words by Paula Morell,
2) Paste your submission into the body of your email (we will not open any attachments),
3) Include a brief bio, and
4) email to: email@example.com
(If you do not include "BEATLES" in your subject line, we will not know that you are submitting for this particular show, and your story will be filed with our regular submissions.) We do not accept mailed submissions.
Email submissions only. Submission deadline is 10 p.m. Sunday, April 06, 2014.
More on the exhibition is here: www.argentaartsdistrict.org/the-beatles-are-coming-to-argenta/