Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Local & Regional News
Thu February 6, 2014
Helena To Undergo Economic Development
Thursday marks the kick-off for the Riverside Renewal Project in Helena, Arkansas.
Southern Bancorp and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development are partnering to revitalize downtown Helena by matching investments to eligible commercial or residential development projects up to $100,000.
“We want to know that these are projects that could create jobs," said Southern Bancorp spokesman Nathan Pittman. "So, when we’re talking about restaurants and hotels and those sorts of things, obviously, the impact could be huge. And when we’re talking about a matching financial incentive up to $100,000, that could have a real impact in the local economy.”
Pittman said Helena has a rich history and is the right place for an economic development.
“We think we can see new restaurants coming to the downtown area, new hotels, that’s going to bring more capacity for the city to really take advantage of those economic opportunities.”
Interested individuals or businesses can click here to apply and learn about the eligibility requirements. The last day to apply is March 31.