Most Active Stories
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- New Little Rock Police Chief Aims To Restore Trust In Law Enforcement
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
- Christie and Romney Visiting Arkansas: How Much Of It Is For Hutchinson?
Local & Regional News
Mon July 1, 2013
Home Fireworks And Sparklers Can Result In Injuries
Burn related injuries are on the rise this time of year due to out door festivities. The Fourth of July often means using fireworks and sparklers, but Arkansas Children’s Hospital spokeswoman, Pamela Richard says people don’t often understand the dangers involved.
"Fire works are dangerous, what a lot of people don't realize is the danger of a sparkler. We actually had a patient who had her clothes catch on fire from a sparkler. She has body burns, not just burns to her hands or her face but her clothes caught on fire. So she was severely injured from a sparkler," said Richard.
Arkansas Children's Hospital Tips in the event of a fire:
- Children should stop, drop and roll if clothing catches on fire.
- Cool water should be used to extinguished the fire.
- For burns larger than the size of a quarter, call 911.
- Do not place ice on affected areas, this can deepen the burn.
- Remove any clothing that flames have come into contact with. Wrap the child in a clean, dry blanket to keep them warm until help arrives.