Most Active Stories
- Rosanne Cash Reflects As Opening Of Johnny Cash Boyhood Home Nears
- National Weather Service Issues Winter Storm Warning for Arkansas
- Data: Arkansans Curse Minimally and Say “Please” and “Thank You”
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Local & Regional News
Thu March 21, 2013
I-40 Reopens After Fatal Wreck Snarls Traffic
Arkansas State Police say Interstate 40 in eastern Arkansas has reopened after a multivehicle crash left one person dead and at least a dozen others hurt.
State Police say a vehicle crashed Thursday morning in the eastbound lane of I-40 near the White River Bridge - then metal debris from the roadway apparently flew up and hit another vehicle, which stopped the single lane of eastbound traffic.
Troopers say traffic behind the first vehicle slowed and stopped before a commercial carrier truck traveling behind the stopped vehicles collided with them to cause a chain-reaction crash.
State Police spokesman Bill Sadler said the interstate reopened late Thursday afternoon after traffic was snarled for much the day as authorities diverted motorists onto nearby state and U.S. highways.