Most Active Stories
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- Human Rights Campaign Releases First Large-Scale Survey of LGBT Arkansans
- Former KLRE Manager Madison Hodges Dies
- Wal-Mart CEO Of Domestic Operations To Resign Next Month
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
Notes on Music
Wed July 24, 2013
Karajan And Interwar German Politics
Herbert von Karajan, one of the greatest conductors of all time, led the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra for thirty-five years, and was a dominant figure in European classical music until his death in 1989.
Not many know, however, that in 1935 he became a member of the Nazi Party. However, he did not collect his card, sign it, or pay his dues.
Still, it gives one pause to think.