Most Active Stories
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- New Little Rock Police Chief Aims To Restore Trust In Law Enforcement
- David Pryor Stumping For His Son In North Little Rock
- Christie and Romney Visiting Arkansas: How Much Of It Is For Hutchinson?
Notes on Music
Wed July 24, 2013
Karajan And Interwar German Politics
Herbert von Karajan, one of the greatest conductors of all time, led the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra for thirty-five years, and was a dominant figure in European classical music until his death in 1989.
Not many know, however, that in 1935 he became a member of the Nazi Party. However, he did not collect his card, sign it, or pay his dues.
Still, it gives one pause to think.