Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Local & Regional News
Sun September 8, 2013
Little Rock Zoo Mourns 62-Year-Old Elephant's Loss
The Little Rock Zoo is mourning the death of a 62-year-old elephant named Jewell.
The zoo says in a statement that Jewell was euthanized Sunday after she was found lying on her side on the ground and struggling to get up. The elephant was unable to lift herself up and zoo staff worked quickly to lift Jewell to her feet using a large crane and harness.
But after she was lifted to her feet, the elephant could not stand on her own without assistance. Zoo veterinarian staff, in consultation with zoo elephant staff, evaluated the elephant's condition and made the decision to euthanize her. A necropsy will be performed.
The Zoo was closed Sunday as staff removed the elephant from the exhibit. Jewell had been a resident since 2011.