Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Local & Regional News
Mon February 17, 2014
Logan, Franklin Counties Consider Bi-County Jail
Officials in Logan and Franklin counties in western Arkansas are discussing the possibility of building a new jail to hold inmates from both counties.
Logan County justices of the peace discussed the idea during a Quorum Court meeting last week and later attended a Franklin County Quorum Court meeting to discuss possibly building a 150-200 bed jail.
Logan County JP Eddie Finney told the Times Record that by working together the counties could save money. JP Mike Schluterman said the proposed jail would cost an estimated $12 million.
The county officials said an as yet undetermined sales tax would be the likely way to fund the project if it is approved.