Most Active Stories
- Plan To Make 6 States Out Of California May Head To Ballot
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- UPDATE: LR Air Force Base Reopens After Scare Prompts Lockdown
- New Little Rock Police Chief Aims To Restore Trust In Law Enforcement
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
Local & Regional News
Wed June 5, 2013
Marshals Museum Plans 2016 Opening In Fort Smith
Officials say a fall 2016 opening is planned for the $50 million U.S. Marshals Museum in Fort Smith.
The museum's board of directors said Tuesday that groundbreaking for the museum will be held Sept. 24, 2014.
The Southwest Times Record reports the groundbreaking will coincide with the release of a commemorative coin marking the 225th anniversary of the Marshals Service.
Officials say they've raised $11.7 million so far for the museum, and expect to receive another $4 million to $5 million from sales of the commemorative coin.
Also Tuesday, the board announced members of the museum's National Leadership Council.
Members include Gov. Mike Beebe, former Gov. Mike Huckabee, Asa Hutchinson and former Oklahoma Gov. Frank Keating, among others.