Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Local & Regional News
Wed September 11, 2013
Marshals Museum Switches To Larger Parcel
The U.S. Marshals Museum that's to be built in Fort Smith is to go up at a new, larger site.
Museum board members on Tuesday approved the change, which will double the land available for the facility.
The museum will still be built downtown along the Arkansas River and the organization is still getting the land for no charge. Developer Bennie Westphal agreed to donate the original parcel and is also donating the new site.
A parking study for the museum revealed that organizers had underestimated how many vehicles the museum will attract, hence the need for a larger site.
The Southwest Times Record reports that organizers hope to break ground on the $50 million museum in about a year. The board has raised about $14 million.