Most Active Stories
- Governor-Elect Asa Hutchinson Sets Up Website For Transition
- State Supreme Court Deliberates On Same-Sex Marriage
- Election: Fayetteville's LGBT Anti-Discrimination Measure An Arkansas Rarity
- Effort To Curtail Use Of Antipsychotic Drugs In Nursing Homes
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
Local & Regional News
Fri May 30, 2014
New Regional Airport Opens In St. Francis County
Officials have marked the opening of the new Delta Regional Airport in eastern Arkansas.
State and local officials attending a gate-opening ceremony Thursday at the new facility in Colt. The new regional airport will eventually replace current airports in Wynne and Forrest City.
Delta Regional Airport Authority Chairman John Kerr says plans have been in the works for more than 11 years for the new facility. The airport has a 5,000-foot runway and will eventually include a terminal building, a fuel station and an 11-bay hangar. The Times-Herald reports that developers also plan a large corporate-style hangar for businesses.
Officials also celebrated the first official landing when a plane flown by Pine Bluff flight instructor Mike Lain arrived at the airport shortly before noon Thursday.