Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Local & Regional News
Fri January 17, 2014
Panel: Absentee Voters In NE Arkansas Must Show ID By Tuesday
The Craighead County Election Commission is giving dozens of absentee voters who cast their ballots without proof of identification in a special state Senate election extra time to show their ID in order for their votes to be counted under a new law.
The commission on Friday voted unanimously to treat ballots submitted without proof of identification the same as those cast in person without photo ID, giving the absentee voters until noon Tuesday to show ID.
Tuesday's election was the first under the new law requiring photo ID in order to vote. The law allows voters without photo ID at the polls to cast a provisional ballot that wouldn't be counted unless they later show ID.
A similar procedure wasn't spelled out in the law for absentee voters.