Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Third And Likely Final Round Of Layoffs Begins At Acxiom
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
Wed May 1, 2013
Phillips County Jail Closed After Failing An Inspection
Officials are working on the best plans for the future after Phillips County Jail was closed on Tuesday due to failing an inspection.
Danny Hickman, the Coordinator of the State’s Criminal Detention Facilities, said, “There were several items that they didn’t meet the standards. Main thing is, the jail becomes deteriorated a lot and it became a very unsafe facility for inmates and for the staff and for the public of Phillips County. And living conditions was not quite up to par.”
The jail in Helena-West Helena was 30 years old.
60 inmates have been transferred to nearby jails and 18 people have been laid off.