Most Active Stories
- Documentary On Glen Campbell To Get Advance Screening In LR
- Arkansas Legislature Easily Passes School Employee Health Insurance, Prison, & Lottery Changes
- Watch Now: Candidates For Statewide Office Appear in Hot Springs
- As Ballot Deadline Nears, Medical Marijuana Comes Up Short, Minimum Wage Says They're Ready
- KUAR Airs Special July 4 Weekend Programming
Notes on Music
Fri November 22, 2013
Gioachino Rossini was a composer of many great operas, but was also quite a womanizer. One of his “loves” was Maria Marcolini, the former mistress of Napoleon’s brother.
When Napoleon, who had occupied northern Italy, mandated compulsory enlistment in the French Army, Marcolini was able to pull some strings to get Rossini an exemption. Otherwise we’d be missing some very good operas!