Most Active Stories
- Protesters Dispute Possible Immigration Reform Outside Mexican Consulate
- Wal-Mart CEO Of Domestic Operations To Resign Next Month
- Former KLRE Manager Madison Hodges Dies
- Sandy Hook And Shooting Simulators Factor In School Safety Conference
- UPDATE: LR Air Force Base Reopens After Scare Prompts Lockdown
Notes on Music
Fri November 22, 2013
Gioachino Rossini was a composer of many great operas, but was also quite a womanizer. One of his “loves” was Maria Marcolini, the former mistress of Napoleon’s brother.
When Napoleon, who had occupied northern Italy, mandated compulsory enlistment in the French Army, Marcolini was able to pull some strings to get Rossini an exemption. Otherwise we’d be missing some very good operas!