Most Active Stories
- Arkansas Weather-Related Closings And Delays For Wednesday
- Allegations Surface That Arkansas Judge Made Objectionable Posts on Message Board
- Is Open Carry Legal in Arkansas? Depends On Who You Ask.
- Latest Information On Arkansas Road Conditions
- Testimony Begins In Trial Of Former Treasurer Martha Shoffner
Notes on Music
Fri November 22, 2013
Gioachino Rossini was a composer of many great operas, but was also quite a womanizer. One of his “loves” was Maria Marcolini, the former mistress of Napoleon’s brother.
When Napoleon, who had occupied northern Italy, mandated compulsory enlistment in the French Army, Marcolini was able to pull some strings to get Rossini an exemption. Otherwise we’d be missing some very good operas!